Friday, January 20, 2012

Will iBooks 2 Replace Our Conventional Textbooks?

Just this morning, I saw in the news about Apple's launch of iBooks 2. This app is available to iOS devices and will allow users to read textbooks interactively. The part that awed me the most is the visual aids found in the e-books. The pictures and diagrams could be brought to life just by tapping on them. Dragging a picture allows users to see the different angles of the object. Readers could gain much more understanding with the subject matter through the embedded videos laid across the e-books. These are the features I find to be lacking in our traditional textbooks. 2D diagrams aren't enough to illustrate a concept as abstract as those in chemistry.

However, it was kind of a little disturbing the way Apple introduces the iBooks 2 as a step to revolutionize education. While it's not yet clearly stated as to in what way they wish to revolutionize education, but still it got me worrisome. Would the tablets gradually replace our hardbound and paperback books? I can't imagine the complete eradication of our reliable textbooks to replace the electronic ones. More so, how could you inject a tablet into the student's study routine? With the wifi capabilities, and the enourmous number of apps that can be downloaded, who wouldn't find it tempting to simply play rather than study? Also, although the screen display of the Apple devices are excellent, but it could strain the eyes over long time. iBooks is a great way to supplement a student's learning experience. Heck, I learned all the difficult-to-grasp concepts in my science class through the interactive encyclopedias installed in my computer (during the time when tablets haven't been invented yet). Using e-Books instead of conventional books could indeed save the trees, but still, the Apple devices aren't really dedicated study devices. I see Amazon Kindle as the better replacement to books.

For more information, here's an article from CNET on iBooks 2 features: http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57362293-12/ibooks-2-brings-textbooks-to-life-hands-on/?ttag=fbw

What are your thoughts? Share them on the comment box below.

4 comments:

  1. I prefer reading real books. One of the main reasons is because real books don't strain my eyes. Besides, I like the feeling of turning pages and being able to put marks on it. You can also put marks on gadgets but it doesn't feel the same. If I were a parent, how would I know if my kid is studying or playing on his iBook? LOL.
    I agree with you, seriousnuts. Amazon Kindle may be a better replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cheerfulnuts! I agree with you, I do appreciate iBooks' interactive interface, but I still prefer reading on paper. LOL, call us from old school. Perhaps the younger generation would appreciate reading from gadgets, but still, it would strain their eyes over a long time.

      Delete
  2. Hi seriousnuts,
    You give serious food for thought. E-books are becoming more and more popular and I have read a few but I definitely prefer real books. Actually today I started reading a book a friend sent me! Take care and all the best to you.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy. It's nice to hear from you again! Sometimes, I want to use E-books since my bookshelves are getting crowded already. E-books has its pros and cons. But when it comes to the reading experience, I still prefer real books. Thanks for leaving a comment. Happy reading.

      Delete